Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Best New Book

I have found THE cookbook. It is an essential for men: from the seasoned chef to the college undergraduate. It is a delightful surprise for women due to it's pared down, simple style. And it is by one of my very favorite people: Ina Garten. The Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics Cookbook is soon to become an essential in every kitchen.

I confess: I am a Barefoot Contessa nut. I love her easy, placid demeanor. I love her simple recipes. And I love, love, love her Southampton home. I have all of her cookbooks, but this new cookbook is superb for one obvious reason: it is so very simple.

Sprinkled throughout the book are lists comprised of 10 fabulous suggestions. My favorites include "10 no-cook things to serve for dessert," and "10 things not to serve at a cocktail party." Who doesn't need that advice? For those who missed etiquette class, there's a list of "How to Set a Table Like a Pro." As always, the photographs are superb, and the recipes lucious, but deceptively simple. Ina's books can be read like a book of short stories savored as each chapter unfolds with new information.

Whether buying for yourself or as a gift, this book is sure to delight. In fact, the recipient doesn't even have to cook: this book is essential for entertaining and enjoying the fine art of living simply, but living well.

St. Andrews from the Cathedral